Christmas in July!

Some finishes and a huge WIP!

I have just loved touching these voile fabrics so much that I actually finished another baby quilt in three days!  
I'm in love!  Why did it take me so long to try this magical fabric?


To make sure it was really solid I quilted both in the ditch and 1/4" from the horizontal seams on each side, since I had some tension issues when piecing.  I didn't want the quilting to be too dense though to keep it nice and fluffy.  It is backed and bound in the pastry print in magenta, and I used an Aurifil pink of the same colour for the bobbin, so there aren't big noticeable lines on the back.  On the front I used an Aurifil cream colour in 28 weight.  The bricks finish at 3 x 6 inches.  


I did get a little mixed up with the order of the bricks, probably due to a less than great makeshift design board and being tired at the end of the pregnancy, so there are some prints touching each other.  While this non-perfection bothers a good Virgo like myself, when I realized what I had done I was NOT about to pick apart the stitches.  It's beautiful anyway!  

I am seriously considering buying another, bigger bundle in a different colourway and making one for myself!  And then just wrapping it around my naked self like a toga for the rest of the summer...

Here's another finish from the last few days - my hand-stitched scrappy pillow for the nursery.


So what's this big WIP you ask?  
Oh, just a little creature that is 41 weeks + 2 days old that doesn't seem to want to come out and join us!  Apparently I have a pretty comfy womb!

Keep ya posted...

Keeping myself occupied...

Well, baby girl still hasn't decided to grace us with her presence yet, despite being 6 days overdue.  I am trying not to watch the clock or worry about being induced by starting a few more projects!  
A few weeks ago I ordered a fat quarter bundle of AMH Little Folks voile from Fabricworm, and when it got here yesterday I said "what the hell" and decided to start another baby quilt.  


After a quick search on Flickr and a look through my inspiration file, I decided a simple patchwork would be best.  I modified that to a brick layout, with rectangles that will finish at 3" x 6", just because I figured there'd be a few less seams to sew and I wouldn't have to worry about my corners lining up.  I am going to do the same layout on the back, so the baby will be able to enjoy the voile softness at the same time as I am enjoying the beautiful colours on the front!  


Since the guest room has now become the nursery, I no longer have the extra bed to layout my blocks!  So I threw up a flannel sheet on the easel, over the latest painting for the nursery, and tried to make that work. 

Also, a few weeks ago I was inspired by Kristie's appliqué hoop, and so I decided to make a little mini quilt for the baby's room.  I used to sing this song to my little old yorkshire, who died almost two years ago.  I don't think she'd mind if I use it now for my daughter!


I had a lot of fun digging through my scraps to make this, and I really love hand-quilting... who knew.  I bought these adorable alphabet stamps in NYC last year on my honeymoon - I have been dying to use them!  

Another Kristy has also inspired me to start making her Modernized Disappearing 9 Patch blocks.  



I love this idea!  It looks like improv piecing with but without the fear of screwing up!  
I decided it was a great way to get the most mileage out of my one precious Echo layer cake, mixing it will a few Kona solids and some Essex linen in Natural for the negative space.  



So far I've just been making the blocks - I will decide later if it will be a couch quilt or maybe a bunch of pillow covers for the couch.  (Most of the blocks have more linen in them).


Ok well I guess I'll just keep sewing for now.  The waiting is really frustrating though, especially once you're past the due date!  Hopefully the next blog entry will have a picture of a brand new, pink baby!

Still waiting...

Powered by Blogger.